Life without a colon

 Hi. Welcome to my blog.

Thank you to all who have read my 1st blog. Please follow or leave a comment!

My spirits have been uplifted just to share my story. I have been contemplating for so long to do this, and here I am today sharing my second blog.

As I mentioned I was not prepared  enough for the days to come. I wanted so badly for my surgery to be a success and to continue with my with life. My recovery period was difficult, I had to literally look at myself in the mirror and say to myself "You are not going to give up". 

My daughter was my little helper, she would ask me to wait for her when she got back from school so that she could help me with changing my colostomy bag. I knew then that as much as I needed her, she needed me. After my second operation the j pouch restoration, that's when the new normal started. 

I accepted the new normal, firstly because I was in denial and secondly because I wanted my life back. Accepting the new normal has not been easy.  Having a j pouch comes with its own set of challenges. The symptoms I have experienced are bloating, increased stools, cramping, severe fatigue, bodily aches etc. My greatest challenge is that I cannot be 100% functional. 

My family and I left our home town, moved to another Province so that I could work an 8-4 shift. The sacrifices my loved ones have made to accommodate my situation has disclosed their great love for me. My greatest support has been my husband. Accepting my situation and never making me feel ashamed. We joke about things just to avoid a gloomy situation. 

Having family and friends that support and understand your condition is very important. It makes a great difference for the individual who's experiencing those challenges. I was always ashamed and embarrassed of my situation and except for my immediate family and friends I haven't shared my struggle until now. 

I wish that there would be more awareness and understanding towards those of us who struggle with gastrointestinal problems. For some people this would not be considered a disability but it is a form of inability. Society does not accommodate for us. I definitely cannot use a bathroom for people with disabilities and that's simply because my disability can not be seen. My j pouch is the result of my inabilities. Frequency and urgency to use the bathroom, sometimes after every meal is fustrating. 

I'm the owner of my j pouch, I'm aware of my symptom, my challenges, my abilities and inabilities. If you have a similar condition, please know that I fully understand the challenges and you are not alone.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My story-Life without a colon

J pouch